The Mooncup is a reusable menstrual cup around two inches long and made from soft silicone rubber. It is worn internally like a tampon but collects menstrual fluid rather than absorbing. Unlike tampons the Mooncup is not a disposable product, so you only need to buy one. The Mooncup will hold 30ml of fluid, which is roughly one third of the average total produced each period. A light seal is formed with your vaginal walls allowing your menstrual fluid to pass into the Mooncup without leakage or odour. You will probably find that you need to empty your Mooncup less frequently than you currently replace towels or tampons.
Correctly inserted, the Mooncup is so comfortable that you will forget it exists. It may take a little practice at first as you need to find the angle and position that is right for you. Once you have perfected it you will be amazed at how simple the Mooncup is to use. You will need to empty, rinse or wipe and reinsert your Mooncup every four to eight hours depending on your flow. The fluid remains inside the cup, and the process is not messy or uncomfortable. The Mooncup can safely be used overnight and is great for all sports, swimming and travelling. "I LOVE my Mooncup! I found it quick, convenient and easy to use (I think the trick is definately to aim towards the small of the back when inserting) and comfortable to wear. I'M FREE! I'M FREE! It doesn't leak or smell and I don't go to the loo and then think "damn I should've brought a tampax in with me" or get up in the morning and think "now I must fill my pockets with tampax" if I'm going out! The great thing is, once you've got it in, you've got it with you! Love it! Thanks! More women should know about this..." Sue S.
The Mooncup is available in two sizes. Size A measures 46mm in diameter ad 50mm in length. Size B measures 43 mm in diameter ad 50mm in length. Both sizes have a pull stem 21mm long, which you can trim to the length that is right for you. Size A is recommended for women who have given birth vaginally or who have had a caesarean section and aged 30 or above. Size B is recommended for women who have not given birth or who have had a caesarean section and aged below 30. Please ensure that you select the correct size. For hygiene reasons we cannot exchange Mooncups once they have been dispatched. Please note that women over the age of 30 years old are increasingly likely to need the size A regardless of giving birth. This is because the tone of vaginal and pelvic floor muscles naturally reduces with age but to varying degrees in different women. Some activities will maintain tone, such as yoga, pilates, dance, so if you are advanced in any these, or similar activities take this into consideration when choosing which size you need. Corrective surgery to the vagina will also have implications.
Using the Mooncup menstrual cup:
• Find a comfortable sitting, standing, squatting or kneeling position. Relax and take your time.
• Press the sides of the Mooncup menstrual cup together and then fold in half again.
• Hold the folded sides firmly together between thumb and forefinger of one hand. The single curved edge should be away from your palm.
• Stay relaxed. With your free hand gently separate the labia and push the curved edge of the folded Mooncup menstrual cup up into the vagina.
• Insert the Mooncup menstrual cup fully following the natural angle of your vagina. Aim towards the small of your back, not the top of your head. You do not need to push the Mooncup menstrual cup up high into the vagina, the vaginal muscle will keep it in place.
• Once the Mooncup menstrual cup is fully inserted grasp the base of the cup, not the stem, and rotate it once to ensure that it has fully unfolded. Most women find that the stem is too long. You will need to remove the Mooncup menstrual cup and cut the stem to your own requirements.
It is important to keep your Mooncup clean. Wash it regularly with mild soap and hot and water. It can be cleaned more thoroughly between periods. Please read the Usage Guide carefully before using your Mooncup menstrual cup for the first time.